Vehari District is a district in the Punjab province of Pakistan – the city of Vehari is the capital of the district. The district was created in 1976 out of the three tehsils of Multan District (Vehari, Burewala and Mailsi). The name Vehari means low lying settlement by a flood water channel. The district lies along the right bank of the river Sutlej which forms its southern boundary. Vehari District is the result of construction of the Pakpattan canal from Sulemanki Head Works on the Sutlej and the institution of Nili Bar colony project in 1925, so called because of the hints of blue in the water of the Sutlej. The ancient history of the district is obscure. The populated areas in ancient times was restricted to the banks of the river Sutlej where seasonal inundation permitted some cultivation. The rest of the area was a vast sandy scrap-land at best affording pastures itinerant herdsmen. The riparian tract formed the state of Fatehpur during the time of Akbar the Great. This was ruled by Fateh Khan of Joya family who founded and gave his name to the town of Fatehpur. Fatehpur is still in existence about 15 kilometres to the south of Mailsi and is the oldest town of Mailsi subdivision. It has some remains of archaeological value.
There are three tehsils in district Vehari:
The populated area of Mailsi in ancient times was restricted to the banks of the river Sutlej and was inhabited by two ethnic groups namely Arain from Lahore and Khichhis from Bakaner, the earliest settlers of the town. They are still the most dominant segment of the town’s population. Vehari is a new district and is situated on the right bank of river Sutlej, in the heart of Nili Bar, the bluish tinge of the water of the Sutlej. The construction of Pakpattan Canal from Sulemanki Head Works on the Sutlej and the launching of Nili Bar colony project in 1925; considerably added to the population of the district. The ancient history of the area is not well recorded except for the fact that this riverine tract formed the state of Fatehpur during the time of the Mughal King, Akbar, the Great. It was ruled by Fateh Khan of Joya family who founded and gave his name to the town of Fatehpur. Fatehpur still exists at a distance of 15 Kilometers to the South of Mailsi. Some remains of archaeological value are found in this town.
Burewala derives its name from Chah Boreywala which was established prior to 1912. Burewala is an old Mandi and situated on Dehli Multan Road. River Sutluj crosses Burewala near Jamlera and Sahuka. Derbar of Dewan Chawli Mashaiekh is also situated in Dewan Sahib at a distance of 18 km from Burewala. In 1976, Burewala was upgraded as Sub Division. The areas of Gaggoo, Jamlera, Sahuka and Sheikh Fazal were included in Sub Division. Burewala textile Mill was established in the year 1954. It was sold to Dawood Group in the year 1957. The Tehsil Municipal Administration came into being on 14.8.2001.
There are three canals, Mailsi Link, Faddah and Dhamakki, which last is the biggest canal of Mailsi.